Sunday 8 November 2009

Boyer Lecture Live

Today I recorded General Cosgrove delivering his first lecture live in front of all the important people.  We recorded the 1st lecture in the studio as a backup, but the the live version is now currently going to air as I write this.  All the subsequent lectures will be the studio versions.  You can podcast it from the Radio National website.

There is no gig which you want to stuff up, but this is one of the ones you REALLY don't want to stuff up.  This is a big event for our Network.  So I had 2 recorders going, each recording to flash card and hard disk so that there was no chance of not getting a recording.  I put my own mic on the lecturn, so that we didn't have to listen to the horrible gooseneck mic which was feeding the PA.  My mic was a Neumann KMS105.  Plus we had a lapel mic on the General as a backup in case the microphone fell over or something horrid.  My recorders were the SoundDevices portable hard disk/flash recorders model 744 and 722.

I didn't stuff up luckily.

Then we had to run upstairs and compile the program and get it loaded into the autoplay computer.  I was sitting in the studio playing it from another computer as a backup in case the autoplay didn't work.

Then I freaked out when the producer came running in saying it wasn't the right program going to air.  But really it was, she was just having a moment.

No comments: