Friday 17 July 2009

Goldfish


I’m a little concerned with my housemate TR’s pet little fish. I was away on holidays and so was she, so she asked our other housemate TJ to feed them. She nearly killed them by overfeeding them. I came home from holidays and the fish tank was a murky brown. I said to TR “what’s going on with the fish tank” so she cleaned it out and found all this uneaten rotting food in the tank. TJ said they didn’t look like they were eating so she kept putting more food in. Honestly, what sort of logic is that?
Anyway they haven’t been their energetic selves since. They used to always dance for me when they saw me. Now they just sit there. Except for when they go a bit crazy. This morning one of them was darting around the tank and hitting the edges so hard you could hear his skull banging the glass. And then he ran into another fishy and pushed him into a corner under a shell so he was stuck there for a while. I think they’ve gone a bit mental.

My brother had goldfish years ago. He had about 8 because he had quite a big tank. He managed to kill them all in one afternoon. He changed the water and didn’t know you need to dechlorinate the water. Poor fishies all died from chemical poisoning. I came home one afternoon and he had bowls of water everywhere with sick fish in them, plus the dead ones lined up on a tea towel. I came in and he said “all my fish are dying”. “Why?" "I changed the water and they are all dying now”. “Did you dechlorinate the water?” ”No.” Before long all 8 were lined up on the tea towel.

1 comment:

David said...

but the 10 fish I replaced them with all lived long, happy lives and gathered in the corner wagging their tails excitedly every time I walked in the front door.