Saturday 18 July 2009

le tour

I have become a tragic follower of the tour de france.  I've liked riding bikes for a long time, but never followed bike races.  Last year after meeting someone who was sitting up every night watching the tour de france, I was really intrigued as to why someone would put themself through this.  So I watched the race one night and I was hooked.  The problem was I had missed all of the critical stages of the race that really set up the race leaders.  So I decided that this year I was going to watch as much as could to really see how the race is won.  But much to my horror, SBS who are the race broadcasters also won the rights to Ashes this year, so instead of showing bicycles, they are showing cricket players.   AAAAhhhggggg.   But the cycling is on the SBS digital channel and I don't have digital.  And my internet is not good enough to stream it.  I'm just not one of those people that needs to buy all the latest stuff, so I haven't bought a set top box.  I'm still using our family's original colour telly we got in 1979 and it works a wonder.

But today I splurged.  I'm so annoyed at SBS not showing the tour on regular analogue TV.  I went out looking for the cheapest set top box I could find so I could watch SBS digital and get the tour.  Tonight I'll be settling to watch the cycling.  Yay.  The cheapest box I found was an SD one for $80.  But there an HD for $100, so I got the HD.  I'm really glad I understand inputs and outputs.  I had it all hooked up and working within 10 minutes.  It looks great.

2 comments:

David said...

My $50 set top box worked great for about a week. Then, one-by-one, the stations started disappearing. No amount of returning can bring them back It's now a $50 dud. Ya get what ya pay for I suppose.

goldy said...

Mine only needs to survive one week. Although I am glad to now be able to access ABC2, so hopefully it will last a little while.