Wednesday 11 March 2009

audio language

I have often said that I quite regret the fact that i can't speak a foreign language. But then Irealised tonight that I do. I speak the audio language. I was out tonight recording a lecture -not a very challenging gig, but part of the job. Anyway when i told the woman from the venue that i was taking a line out of the PA she freaked out a bit saying she didn't want me pulling any cables out. So I said "no, when i say i'm taking a line out I really mean I'm putting one in", which really didn't help the situation. She was completelt confused. So I had to show her the cable I had plugged in to the PA system, which was the line out I was taking. Are you all confused now?

So that's how I got to thinking that we really do speak a different language sometimes. I might say to you, "Gee it's all sounding a bit wet, and I'm not sure about the 421 on the hats. Deifinitely use the 421 on rack but put a 451 on hats and put a 414 on the floor. Wind up some sparkle on the pultec and widen the image a bit. And I think we need to put a pad on the DI and get rid of the pod and bring me a vox. Oh and the vox track (not like the vox from the previous sentence) needs to be in your face a bit more so squash it as much as possible without making it pump." Got it?


So I'm going to start teaching you my language bit by bit.
First some basic vocab.
Mic = microphone (easy one)
XLR - the proper name for the connector on a mic cable.
XLR cable = microphone cable
Neumann (pronounced noi-man) - German company that make really nice, expensive microphones. It's normal to use the word Neumann as a noun in it's own right - eg. "have you got any Neumanns?"
U87 - a standard studio microphone made by the Neumann company. Quite expensive, so it's quite good to say you have U87. No need to say Neumann U87. Just say U87 or even just 87 and we all know what you mean. eg. "I used a U87 on lead vocal."
This is what one looks like.






Ok that's enough for lesson 1. stay tuned for more next time.

2 comments:

matt said...

My audio language: plug, volume knob, guitar lead, clean, dirty, out of tune. All the rest is hand waving and random guesswork. I know a couple of guys who spend way too much time obsessing over their sound gear, I definitely don't want to use the word U87 around them as that would trigger a long and boring brain dump about every time they've used this or that mic until they're satisfied that they've established that they know more than me. Is that part of the culture because it's happened to me more than once! (Not when talking to you of course)

teraBel said...

can't we just insert an optp-tube-fet-gate to duck the s out of the take? we'd probably need some fully balanced trs to unbalanced xlr split get the connection, but we'd lose some level though.

has anyone ever done a dictionary for sound-geeks. it would probably start off with 50 pages filled with numbers. not to mention the theory behind all of that shi*.