Thursday 26 March 2009

Neighbours

On Sunday my next door neighbour held a BBQ for the neighbours to say thankyou for putting up with his renovations. It was such a nice afternoon. I met neighbours I’d never seen before. Generally people just keep to themselves, so it was really nice to meet all the people who live around me. Everyone was saying what a great idea it was to get together and that we should do it again.

I thoroughly recommend it. Hold a street party. Get to know your neighbours.

The main talk of the afternoon was regarding the alleged murder that had happened behind my house. Behind me is a lane and directly on the other side is a garage. Late one night in February I noticed people in blue overalls in the garage. Which was not normal. Usually there were about 7 motorbikes and an absolutely huge muscly guy in there. He really was the biggest guy I’ve ever seen in my life, to the point where he looks absolutely ridiculous. Some serious steroid action going on there. But the bikes were gone and instead there were forensic police scouring every inch of the garage. I turned off my lights and spied on them through a crack in the blind. It was like watching CSI. They were picking up things with tweezers and there were chalk marks with numbers placed next to them on the ground. A photographer came and took photos of the chalk marks. Then they bagged up some rubber mats.

Then we got letters in the mail from local police asking if we’d seen a boat parked in the lane. I didn’t know if it’s just neighbourly gossip, but one of the guys at the BBQ seemed to have the knowledge that there had been a murder and the body had been hidden in the boat and then it got dumped in the ocean. Then yesterday I found a business card in our mailbox from the homicide squad asking to call them. I haven’t yet…

So yeah, get to know your neighbours. But be nice to them.

No comments: