Thursday 12 March 2009

audio verbal diarrhea

I need to draw attention to a comment on my previous post....

"I know a couple of guys who spend way too much time obsessing over their sound gear, I definitely don't want to use the word U87 around them as that would trigger a long and boring brain dump about every time they've used this or that mic until they're satisfied that they've established that they know more than me. Is that part of the culture because it's happened to me more than once!"

Can I say, I totally relate to this. I can't stand it when guys go on and on about sound gear, to try and prove how much they know. I'm just not interested. So, please tell me you own a U87, but do not dare to try and tell me about every single piece of gear that you have set eyes on and which studios they were in. I get bored to tears.

Is it part of the culture? Well I think it's a guy thing. The amount of times I have had to leave a room because of guys on this tell all mission thinking they really have to prove how good they are. I've never met a girl like this. Although most girls couldn't care about audio in the slightest. But I do know other female sound engineers and they just get on with their work and don't worry about trying to verbalise their skills or bore me to tears about the tech specs of some rubbish new piece of equipment that has just been released. I hate it whe guys give you a big speel about the jobs they've done and make out that it was such a huge gig and go on and on and on and on. I think if you have to tell everyone how good you are you can't be that good. Let your work speak for itself.


End of rant.

2 comments:

Alison B said...

I guess guys are always trying to show that their mic is bigger than than the next guy's.

teraBel said...

i knew there are sound-engineers out there with more than just numbers in their brains...