Saturday 24 October 2009

Citizen Kane

I saw this film a few years ago when I wasn't very well and didn't appreciate it at all.  I decided I need to give it another go because so many people go on about how good it is.  So I watched it the other night when I wasn't feeling sick, and I'm really glad I did.  I must say it's not a "chill out and relax" type of film, but one that does require mental energy. 

I actually found it worthwhile to go back when it finished and watch the first 15 or so minutes again, to get a full appreciation of the significance of the opening scenes, which kind of tie the whole movie together.  I think this is one of those movies you can watch over and over again and gain something new from it every time.  It would be worth owning the DVD.

The story is loosely based on the life of newspaper man, William Randolph Hearst.  According to Wikipedia, he prohibited the mention of the film in any of his papers on its release.  The main character is played by Orsan Welles, who also directed.
I have developed a new interest in photography which I didn't have the first time I saw the film, so this time I was able to appreciate the technical and artistic way the film was shot - apparently quite innovative for it's time.  It is definitely worth watching for the visual artistry.

The final shot solves the mystery of the entire movie - what was the main character referring to on his deathbed in muttering the word - "Rosebud"? It's quite a significant way to tie up the movie as throughout the film we see a character being portrayed as a rich tyrant.

Definitely watch it, but not if you want brainless Friday night entertainment.

No comments: