Friday 16 October 2009

How to defrost a fridge

My job is ever evolving.  I am now the friendly fridge defroster at work.  It's one of those things that everyone notices needs doing, but expects someone else to do.  I finally had enough.  Our poor little bar fridge where we put our lunch, had been taken over by ice so much that we had lost half of our storage capacity.  Something needed to be done.  So yesterday morning, I grabbed a trolley and with help, took the frozen fridge out to the balcony to thaw out.  To my horror it wasn't thawed by the end of the day, so I risked leaving it out over night (under cover).  To my horror, this morning when I went to collect, it still wasn't thawed!

Now, we are talking spring time in Australia here - not sub zero temperatures.  How can it not be thawed out?!?!?!?

Anyway the technique is rather technical - one must unplug the fridge from the power and take it to a place where dripping water won't ruin anything.  Here endeth the lesson.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Putting a tray of boiling water in the bottom and closing the door really speeds things up too! You need to change the water a couple of times a day as it cools though.

goldy said...

yes that's a good idea, but requires thought and effort.