Wednesday 29 October 2008

great mistakes #4

For a couple of years I attended church at St Matts Manly. For those of you who don’t know the area, its located in a major tourist area, which is also largely residential.
I was on sound one night and had turned up for sound check as usual at about 4 in the afternoon– full band plus 3 or 4 singers.
Well, I managed to get our sound check shut down by the police that afternoon. I was a confused for a little while as to why all the neighbours were complaining about the noise being unbearably loud, but heaps of people had complained, so here were the police.
I wasn’t mixing especially loud – I don’t think church should be overly loud, and it was only sound check. I even had front of house turned off when the police arrived, so it was definitely not loud. But the secret was all in the bell tower. St Matts is one of those really old churches with a bell tower, and our bell tower was special because it had speakers in it. Somehow I’d managed to turn on the bell tower speakers and therefore was broadcasting our sound check to the whole of Manly! The neighbours had good reason to complain. It must have sounded awful.

3 comments:

Alison B said...

Did the police laugh when they realised your mistake?

goldy said...

No i didn't work it out till after they'd left.

Heather A. King said...

That has to be the funniest mistake I've heard in a long while...why wasn't I walking along the beach that day? I would have thought it was some weird kinda bell ringing! (Deci-bel!?)