Tuesday 28 October 2008

My day at the circus.

Sometimes it feels like I work in a circus.
I started late today. Had to go to City Recital Hall to record "discovery" with the Sydney Simphonia. The conductor talks through the music for the audience. I always enjoy these gigs. Tonight they did Elgar's nimrod and other variations on the theme of whatever it is.

I get to work and I go to the store room to grab a little portable mixer, and the batteries are all flat. i tip them out to put new ones in. i get battery acid on my hand. I put the batteries in the bin. I put new battieries in and no go. So i take the thing to Tom and demand he fix it. then i realise i haven't booked the car and it's already out and Tom laughs at me. i demand that he find me another one. he says no. Punishment for not forward planning. I say i wasn't rostered any time to forward plan. he says to quit while I'm ahead. then Tim walks past and i ask him to find me a car. He syas it's not in his job description, can't tom do it. Tom's punishing me. Tom rings 702 and organises me a car. I complain about getting battery acid on my fingers. Tom says "WHATTTT did the batteries leak???!!!! They're not meant to leak. Get me the batteries."
Me - no, they are in the bin.
Tom - i need the batteries, they're not supposed to leak.
I go get the bin.
Tom says not to put them on his desk, he needs them in something.
I say - here have the bin, they are in the bin. That's something.
Tom nearly hits me but can't because he'd lose his job.
He gets some paper towels and i fish the batteries out of the bin and get more battery acid on my fingers. And the batteries also have bits of food on them now.

Anyway I get back from the gig and i have instructions to leave the car keys on the reception desk at 702, but I can't get into 702 after hours so i have to go down to security to ask them to let me into 702.
them - you are supposed to leave the keys in the box down at the staging office
me - no, the 702 people want me to leave them at their reception desk
them - the policy is to leave them in the box at the staging office
me - but the the 702 people told me this afternoon to leave them at reception
them - (a bit more like what has already been said.)
((And a few more times back and forth))
me - but no one will know where the keys are if i leave them in that box. they want them on the reception desk
them - this is all new to me
me - PLEEEAASE believe me - i really need need to leave them on the reception desk. please can you let me in??!!!! (pleading)

Finally the security guy walks with me up to 702 and i leave the keys on the reception desk.

The end.

No comments: