Saturday 15 August 2009

funky fred


The other night, with blocked ears I went and saw Fred Wesley play at the basement. That dodgy picture was taken with my phone.  What a great show.  They pulled out the tables from the floor in front of the stage and packed out the venue.  We got a good posy up the back on the steps leading up the back door so we had a full view.  I hate not being able to see so this was good and we weren't really packed in back there so plenty of room to move and not feel claustrophobic.

Fred plays trombone and had a band consisting of trumpet, bass, guitar and drums.  Plus a local girl got up and played trombone on a couple of tunes.  She was great.

So it was a full on funk show.  But they started of with a couple of jazz numbers in a chill out mood and then got stuck into chameleon, before playing Fred's own tunes.

Lines to remember were - "bop till you boogie boogie till you bop bop till you boogie bop bop",
"breakin bread with my momma breakin bread with my momma breakin bread",
"same beat"  which sounded like "saint pete".

Anyway, good times.  And I didn't need ear plugs because I couldn't hear properly anyway.  I wonder if fluid in your middle ear offers the same ear protection as earplugs in the outer ear do?

No comments: