Wednesday 19 August 2009

great mistakes #13



Quick lesson in speaker design – they have a great big whopping magnet in them.  Ok that’s enough.

 

Back to the good ol Jupiter’s Theatre.  RF and I had to change a speaker one afternoon.  We climbed up on the catwalk high above the stage.  I stayed safely behind the rail, while RF swung out over the stage to access the speaker.  The is was before the days of strict OH&S so no harnesses or anything.  We didn’t need to change the whole cabinet, just the speaker inside.  Anyway I was there to grab the dead speaker from RF once he unscrewed it and hand him the new one.   Catwalks are made of steel.

 

I thought I’d put the new speaker down until I needed to hand it to RF because it was quite big and heavy.  That magnet was huge.  And then it was like a slow motion film with RF reaching back over to me and yelling “NNNOOOOO  DDDDOOONN”TTTTT  PPPUUUT  IIIIT   DDDOOOOOOWWWN”  (sped up version is “no don’t put it down”)  Too late.  Stuck.  Great whopping magnet and steel catwalk.   Bad.  I couldn’t get it off.

3 comments:

David said...

This one comes out blank in Google Reader, until you highlight over the balnk bit with the mouse and suddenly all the text appears. Did you write in white?

goldy said...

I wrote in invisible ink and you worked out the secret of how to make it appear. I don't know what was going on with the formatting of that post, everything turned out wrong.

David said...

yeah, I tried holding the screen over a steaming kettle first but that didn't work