Saturday 15 August 2009

sonny rollins


And on that note, have realised I haven't posted about the Sonny concert last year.  This was the one and only time he has been to Australia and only played in Sydney.  Pretty crazy coming all that way and only playing one show.  He could easily have sold out a show in Melbourne.  Anyway, I was privileged enough to see him.

Sonny Rollins is one of the most influential jazz sax players ever and hit the big time as a soloist back in the 50s.  So he's getting on a bit now.  Last year he was 78.

I was sitting up in one of the side boxes just in front of the stage, but up high, so soundwise it was great because a lot of the acoustic sound from stage came up.  A friend who was sitting on the floor in the 6th row said it was really loud, whereas where I was it was a pleasant level, not too amplified.

He waddled on stage and proceeded to play with his back towards me and I was worried he was going to play like that all night, but he did turn around.  


The set list as listed on his website was...

Sydney Opera House
Sydney Australia
June 1, 2008

1. They Say It's Wonderful
2. Someday I'll Find You
3. In A Sentimental Mood
4. St. Thomas
5. Half As Much
6. Sonny, Please
7. As Long As There's Music

Encore: 
Why Was I Born

No comments: