Monday 10 August 2009

the not so joyful times of being a sound engineer


For the last week or so I've had middle ear infections in both ears.  Not something you really want when your livelihood depends on your ears.  My ears filled up with fluid really quickly and were throbbing endlessly and I was pumping myself with painkillers.  I ended up on antibiotics and my hearing loss got quite severe.  I had pussy fluid leaking out of one ear for 2 days.  Don't you just wish you hadn't read that?
I've had blocked ears before and had experienced declined hearing ability, but this time round it was really bad.  If I stuck my finger in my ear and scratched it I couldn't hear a thing.  That's a bit freaky.  And the evil internet which always tells you the worst case scenario had all sorts of stories of permanent hearing loss from ear infections.  So not good.  
Anyway my ears are slowly starting to clear.  I can now hear my housemate enter the room and I can hear my fingers rubbing together near my ear so that's a good sign.
It's been interesting researching the internet for home remedies for ear infections.  The one I liked best was holding a steaming onion over your earhole for 20 minutes.  I'm not a sceptic either.  I'm all for natural remedies, but when it comes to ears I get a bit freaked out and go for the drugs.  Although antibiotics are notoriously bad for you, so I'm not thrilled that I had 2 courses.
Anyway I can't work at the the moment because I'm still too deaf to be of any use at work, so I'll just have to enjoy the time off.

1 comment:

Alison B said...

That's really rough Michelle,
We'll be praying for a quick and complete recovery.
The last time we knew you to have something this bad was when you flew with an ear infection and the pressure change was agony for you.
On a lighter note, have a lovely time off and enjoy everything that doesn't need attention to sound detail!

Duncan and Alison