Wednesday 18 August 2010

London

This was my last stop before heading home. In my first 24 hours I mastered the tube and caught buses as well. London public transport is so cool. It was raining so I thought I'd take cover in the Tate modern. I got on a bus but missed the stop so decided to go and see the tower bridge and discovered there is a big castle right near it. I've never seen pictures of this tower of London. But I've seen millions of pictures of tower bridge so I always assumed that the tower was one of the towers on the bridge. But it's not. Then I got on the bus back towards Tate and decided to stop in at burrough markets because I'd been told there is good coffee there. It must be good because the cue was so long I couldn't be bothered waiting. Then I went to Tate modern to see some Andy Warhol and picasso and other whackies. I really liked the series of photos of the new York subway by Bruce davidson. Then I thought I may as well call in on shakespeares globe theatre seeing as it's right next door. I ended up going in for a tour which was worth it because rehearsals were happening for the merry wives of Windsor and we were allowed in to watch. It was a nice little taste of the theater experience without having to sit or stand through a whole production. Yes they have kept it authentic with open air standing room in front of the stage with seating in the round. Performances still go ahead if it rains and umbrellas are not allowed.
Then later on I met a friend from SMADD days long ago and had dinner before he started playing his piano bar gig.

No comments: