Tuesday 24 August 2010

Love never dies

So if you've read the comment on my last post you will see a very unfavorable review of the show. Although I enjoyed it it because I like live musicals, I have to agree in part. It has not the class of phantom and spoils the characters.
There are some really nice songs but because it is set in a carnival vaudeville setting the chorus numbers are in vaudeville style which I'm not a fan of. Phantom was so beautiful and majestic with it's opera house setting and big operatic chorus numbers. An over earnest young boy plays the son of Christine and while he sang in tune it was all a bit forced like most childhood singing is. The only time I've seen really natural extraordinary children in live musicals is in billy Elliot in Sydney. The other performers were exceptional. The cast didn't need to be propped up by talentless celebrities - this is London- the people on stage really do know how to do musical theatre and I did get goosebumps several times.
The storyline is simplistic and not where you wanted to see the characters end up and is a big disappointment if you loved the story and characters of phantom.
There are some great moments with the use of animated puppets and projected images are used a lot to create the scenery. It's interesting to see how new technology has been used to effect in live theatre.
So I wouldn't say a complete disaster but I can't see this show going down in history as one of the great musicals. I'll be very surprised if it comes to Australia. I do wish I could have had more time in London and gone to see les mis. Even though I've seen it twice it would be so good to see it in London.

No comments: