Tuesday 16 December 2008

Gonks at the Chrissy Party


What IS she doing playing a guitar? I thought she was a bass player???!!! Absolutely right. And I would like to point out I am a purist bass player – as in, I’m not a frustrated guitarist who switched to bass. I took up bass long before I ever touched a guitar. I actually WANTED to play bass. But here I am in the photo playing guitar at the ABC RN Christmas party. It was only for 1 song – White room. Dave and I swapped instruments just for fun. I like this photo because the guitar is much smaller than the bass so doesn’t look ridiculously big on me. And I’ve got my tongue out, concentrating hard.

Well, all 2 of my readers will be glad to know that “Addicted to Love” went off really well. After several nights practicing in front of the mirror, I nailed it. I worked out that if I don’t move my feet, but only move shoulders, hips and knees, I can keep in time and not lose the bass part. Like all rock stars I like to be really vain and say we were AWESOME!!!

Set lists were

Set 1:
Brass in Pocket – (The Pretenders)
Listen to the Music – (Doobie Brothers)
Come Up and See me – (Steve Harley)
No such thing – (John Mayer)
Cajun Moon – (JJ Cale)
Knock on Wood –(Eddie Floyd)
Moondance – (Van Morrison)
Cool for Cats – (Squeeze)
All Right Now – (Free)
White Room – (Cream)


Set 2:
I Got You – (James Brown)
Superstition – (Stevie wonder)
Instant Karma – (John Lennon)
I saw Her Standing there – (Beatles)
Call Me – (Blondie)
Sisters are doin’ it –(Eurythmics)
Wishing Well – (Free)
Crossroads –(Clapton)


Set 3:
Addicted To Love – (Robert Palmer)
Love Shack – (B52s)
6345789 – (Wilson Picket)
Jackson – (Johnny Cash)
Living for the City – (Stevie Wonder)
Take me to the River - (Talking Heads)
Man, I feel like a woman – (Shania Twain)

3 comments:

matt said...

Shame on you, that is not how you hold a plectrum but you have the mouth position right. Great set list! I gotta get back in a band.

goldy said...

We put "Knock on Wood" in just for you. And I'm relieved i didn't drop the plectrum at all. It stayed for the whole song!

Alison B said...

Yeah! You Rock!

But I still want to see a pic of you playing the bass. It's been ages since Alison and I have seen / heard you play bass!

By the way, the haircut did turn out pretty well!