Thursday 18 December 2008

great mistakes #8

I thought it was time I return to my own stupidity. The moral of the story today is – When there is a sign on the studio door that says “Do NOT Close this DOOR”, you should take heed to what it says.
This takes me back to my student days at the Con in Brisbane. I was recording a friend’s song one Saturday and Tom S who was clarinettist with Qld Philharmonic had come along to play piano. He had an orchestra gig that afternoon so had to leave by certain time.
The door handle had broken off the door to the recording room. But someone had stuck gaff over the toungue thing that sticks out that keeps the door shut. What is that thing called? Anyway, I thought it was safe to shut the door because the toungue thing was taped in. Except the gaff tape tore and the toungue thing protruded again and the door fastened and we couldn’t get out! Naturally Tom was freaking out because if he didn’t show up for a gig that was his job gone. There was a lot of jumping up and down going on. But then we realised the mics were up on the desk so the people in the control room could hear us. Tom was giving instructions to DC on the other side of the glass to call another clarinet player to get him to turn up to gig, and it was all a bit tense there for a while. Did Tom lose his job? Did he make it to the the gig? Was Goldy responsible for the demise of his career?

2 comments:

matt said...

GAAAH!! What happened? Did you die in the studio from lack of oxygen?

goldy said...

Yes I did die and therefore I'm not really here and you are a reading a non existent blog.