Friday 5 December 2008

My Fair Lady

Last night KF and went to My Fair Lady at the Theatre Royal in Sydney. I’ve never been in this theatre before. I like it – it’s quite small and intimate, good for a musical. Except for hearing the trains rumbling underneath every 10 minutes.
I’m not going to rave about My Fair Lady like I did Billy Elliot. Don’t get me wrong. It was a thoroughly enjoyable night. I’m really glad I went, especially as it is such a famous renowned musical, and one you must see at least once in your life. But I can’t talk about especially captivating performances, or emotional choruses or extremes of emotion. It was a great story, well performed with some nice songs, but I guess the more modern musicals are just a bit more out there.
My favourite scene was at the races. The costumes were spectacular, with everyone’s colour scheme consisting only of black, grey, white, and apricoty-pink. The pretentious characters watching the races were very funny.
A great line which everyone laughed about as if ridiculous was by Henry Higgins – “you hear better in the dark”. Which is not ridiculous. It’s true. Especially in this day of digital recording where you have a computer screen in front of you with wave forms going past. Often when I’m trying to hear a detail better, I shut my eyes. It’s like you can transfer more energy to your ears if you shut down your eyes. Lots of blind people have amazing hearing.
Anyway that’s off track.
Richard E. Grant was the lead – Henry Higgins. Well played. I’ve met him. Last year he was in Sydney promoting his book and I had to go to his hotel room with the brekky crew to record an interview. I’m not a huge fan of Withnail and I, but I loved his film Waa Waa.

1 comment:

matt said...

I haven't tried it but apparently eating in complete darkness makes the food taste different. It's called "Dark Dining" and google has the details. Oh yeah, My Fair Lady ... um "the raain in spaain falls mostly on the plaain mate"