Friday 12 December 2008

Zwartz

Last Saturday for the music Show I mixed live to air Jonathan Zwartz’s band. I love how his name starts with “Z”. He is a well known Sydney Jazz bass player, played with Jackie O lots. Hamish Stuart was on drums, Phil Slater on Trumpet and a piano player I’d never seen before called Tom.
I started off with a 414 on the double bass, but it was distorting a bit. Not sure if the mic was bit dodgy or what. Jonathan requested an 87 so grabbed one and it sounded heaps better. A much fuller sound. I still needed to boost quite a bit of a large bandwidth centred around 3k. This helps really bring out the string sound of the double bass and because it was his music I wanted to really make sure he stood out. I still mixed the bass in context properly, as in locking in with the other rhythm when the trumpet was soloing, but the bass really stood out well when he soloed.
I loved the music. Really nice compositions.

No comments: